Charlie Countryman | Film Review

Friday 22 September 2017

Gamelkateinthecinema | The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman


Director: Fredrik Bond
Release: 2013
Writers: Story by Matt Drake
Genre: Action/Romance/Travel
Rating: R-16

 .
I am frequently asked the question “what’s you’re favourite movie?” and most of the time I find it hard to answer, for the perhaps cliché reason that I like so many different styles of film. However this film in particular continues to pop up in my mind because it made such an impact on me personally. The Necessary Death of Charlie Countryman gave me a feeling of elation as well as fuelling my wanderlust and interest in travelling, at a time when I had just broken up with my first long-term boyfriend and had moved back in with my parents. I watched this film alone on the sofa with a bottle of wine one night in 2014 and was totally captivated throughout.

.
Without giving too much away, the story starts with Charlie, an American teenager (Shia LaBeouf) dealing with the loss of his mother. He decides to go on a trip to Europe after a beautiful scene where she comes to him in a vision. Although we know nothing about Charlie’s characters, he appears to be all good intentions and innocent inexperience. Arriving in the beautifully dilapidated and gritty streets of Bucharest, he is instantly plunged into the complexities of a foreign culture. No plans and not much money see him staying in a hostel, where he befriends the increasingly manic pill-popping Karl (Rupert Grint). When he meets Gabi (Evan Rachael Wood) and falls instantly and whole-heartedly in love, things start to get dangerous as her violent ex Nigel (Mads Mikkelsen) arrives on the scene.
.

Although this might sound like the predictable plot of some car-chase teen drama, Director Matt Drake works the fabric of the city into the story and presents an emotional, raw, and surprisingly funny narrative. There are some beautiful shots of everyday life in Bucharest, as well as music halls and private homes that make you feel at once like a tourist in the city and a child peeking from behind a curtain. My interest in Romania and other Eastern European countries was impassioned from seeing this movie, and I think this film and others like it have done a lot in not only promoting these places to the world, but for bringing the everyday people who live there into a more contemporary and relatable ‘global’ light. It is a pity that a Romanian was not cast to play Gabi, nevertheless Wood delivers a powerful performance which nicely balances LeBeouf.
.
There are some unbelievable fantasy elements, where a suspended belief in reality is required.  However as they are the workings of Charlie's brain, rather than his environment, these enrich the storyline rather than detract from it. Shia always comes with a strong flavour, and this film is no exception. LaBeouf fans will love Charlie Countryman - he is in almost every single frame - but don't dismiss this one even if you're not totally sold on him. Although he plays the typical American abroad (acting with irritating and reckless abandon) he paints a picture of a boy dealing with loss, and it's hard not to feel empathetic. 
 
.

The overarching theme for me (now sobbing on the couch) was that what you put into your life is ultimately what you will get out of it. You are the only one propelling yourself forward, and when there is no one else there for you, you discover you are able to make decisions for yourself. However we might try to rationalise mistake or failure by blaming others, all the choices we make open new life trajectories to different versions of ourselves. I wont go as far as saying that everything happens for a reason, because I don’t think that is true, but in a clumsy way I am trying to say that life is better when you go out and start living it. Thank you Charlie for teaching me that lesson at a time when I was prepared to listen.



Rating: 9/10 - because I laugh and cry every time I watch it



No comments:

Post a Comment