Favourites Trilogy | Vol. 2

Monday 28 August 2017


.
Oh hey there, I'm back again with another 4 months of things I've been loving including Books, art, food, music, film, theatre and more!


Books | The Enchantment of Lily Dahl | The Girl With All The Gifts
 .
The Enchantment of Lily Dahl is a quiet little story that takes a thrilling and confusing turn, when main character Lily starts to see things that she can't explain. 
The Girl With All The Gifts is set in apocalyptic England after Zombies have taken over most of the country. This story is unique in that it deals with child-zombies and the levels of intelligence in the brain of a killer.
.
I'm currently reading The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. Fantastic.

Art | Louise Jopling by Millais | National Geographic Wildlife Photographer of the Year
.
While working at the National Portrait Gallery I became enamoured by Millias' handsome painting of Louise Jopling. There is something in her expression and posture which conveys a confidence and stability of the female character unusual for her time. She was an artist and important figure in artistic, literary and Pre-Raphaelite circles, as well as being friends with Millias himself. She supported her family from her income as an artist and was married twice. One of her most important achievements was her art school for women painters, which she established in 1887. This painting was completed in 1879.
.

This annual exhibition, displayed at the Natural History Museum in London, showcases a wide spectrum of nature and wildlife photography. Presented in a darkened room and backlit to show off the work, this collection is worth visiting, just make sure you buy your ticket online before you go to avoid the huge line, as this is a popular exhibit.

Theatre | Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf
.

As I found out, this play has nothing to do with the writer and poet Virginia Woolf. Rather, the brilliant Imelda Staunton and Conleth Hill argue onstage for two hours. Although the thought of this might be dreadful, the play itself was fantastic and powerful.

TV & Film | The Handmaid's Tale | Game of Thrones | Atomic Blonde 
.
After reading the books, it's pretty hard not to be a GoT fan. Season 7 concludes today when this post goes up, and I cant wait. Best season yet.
.

Another book that has done very well on screen. The Handmaid's Tale is about a woman who is separated from her family and made to work as a forced surrogate in a dystopian America, where children aren't being born. The acting is solid and the storyboarding unapologetic. 

Travel | The British Isles
 .
Since the last favourites post I have visited Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales! I loved them all but I think my favourite out of the three of them is still Scotland. shhh, don't tell the others...

Style | Asos & band tees
.

Glasses: Jeff Banks . Top: The Veils band . Skirt: Asos . Shoes: Topshop . Bag: Budapest

Food | YO!Sushi | Mercato Metropolitano | Jacques Bistro du Parc
.

Cheap (well, sort of but not really) and cheerful YO!Sushi has seen me quite a lot lately, especially in Belfast when Heather and I discovered to her delight that they now serve fries. Who'd have thought.
.
This indoor/outdoor food market and evening drinking spot is a hidden gem at Elephant and Castle in South London. Deceptively small from the street, this sprawling market is primarily a Italian food community, but they do have stalls from other countries as well, all making surprisingly authentic and delicious grub. (not my photo)
.
The steak I had at the Jaques Bistro was so delicious that I only managed to take a photo of my empty plate. The most tender, juicy, medium rare, beautiful cut of beef I have ever eaten. Highly recommended if you are ever visiting Toronto and want some fancy French food.

Home | mug H&M
.
Go ahead, call me an old lady, but I've started collecting cups and mugs. It's a small collection but growing. This green one is the latest member of the family. 

Music | Kallida Festival | Atomic Blonde Soundtrack | Spotify playlists

I haven't had my ears open much recently, so there are no new or outstanding full albums to report here. I've been enjoying a bit of live music though, and I've been keeping a bi-monthly Spotify playlist. You can find them by searching for Gamelkateintheworld in playlists.


It's hard to stop me yapping about how much I enjoyed Kallida Festival, even now weeks after the fact. And lastly the Soundtrack from the new film Atomic Blonde has been a favourite. Those 80's new wave hits are good for any occasion. 



Thanks for reading, see you next week 

x G x

No comments:

Post a Comment