24 Things To Do In London

Sunday 26 March 2017


24 Things To Do In London


It's my 24th Birthday, so I thought I would share 24 things I've done so far in London...


1. Become a plant mum






This is me taking my new baby home from the hospital... I mean market. I'm not crazy I swear, I just love my plants. The choice for indoor flora is so much better here in London than it is in New Zealand. My favourite thing to do on a Sunday is visit the Columbia Rd flower market (E2 7RG). It can be totally packed though so be prepared to feel like  sardine. Another amazing nursery I discovered the other day is the Nunhead Gardener (SE15 3BW). I can't recommend too many places because I try to restrict my plant buying as I can't take them home with me when I leave :( 


2. Go to a west end play

.

This is St Martins Theatre in Covent Garden where Agatha Christie's The Mouse Trap has been running since 1974, making its 43 year run, the longest running stage production in the world. I saw to not reveal the ending, so you'll have to go see it for yourselves.

The Woman in Black at the Fortune Theatre is also great for it's set design and jump value.


3. Get a tattoo

.

This one won't be for everyone, but I really wanted to get a tattoo while I was in London (many reasons, one being the level of talent here). My fox will remind me of London, where I saw a fox for the first time, and Oamaru, where fox's seem to be a family motif. I found The Lacemakers Sweatshop via Instagram when I was looking at Mucha inspired designs. They do amazing work and the studio is veeery aesthetically pleasing. My artist was Mimi (photo cred. to him also). 

Check them out HERE 


4. Go for Brunch on a week day

.
.
.

Bruch could quite possibly be my favourite meal. It's right up there with dinner. The brunch craze has definitely hit London, with super expensive places popping up everywhere to meet the level of demand. If you're going to pretend you can afford to eat breakfast out, then London is the place to do it. The top picture is the Notting Hill branch of Granger & co. (W11 2SB) which serves a pretty massive portion of Ozzie/Kiwi style breakfast. The second two are Friends of Ours in Hoxton (N1 6BU), another antipodean palace of culinary delight. Seriously though.


5. Go to a gig by myself

. So glad to say I can check this off my bucket list! There is something calming and powerful about going to a gig by yourself. The best bits are that you can get there whenever you want, stand where ever you like, and not have to worry if your friends like the music as much as you do! This is Jehnny Beth of the all female post-punk band Savages, who are just amazing.


6. Go to a music festival

. Another thing that makes June & July in London just the best. Last year I got myself along to Field Day and Lovebox. The lovebox Friday lineup for this year looks amazing. See you there. 
We recommend backpacks ;)


7. See a play at the Globe Theatre

.

.

Perhaps a little cliché but 100% worth it. Even if you are a UK native you need to get yourself to the Globe at least once in your life. The level of performance and the small theatre makes this experience so special. Patricia and I went with a couple of beers in our stomachs expecting to feel a little too 'a little too old, but also a little too young' to fully be excited by A Midsummer Night's Dream. We left feeling totally spellbound. It was by far the best live theatre I have ever seen. Shakespeare knows what's up.


8. Talk to a celebrity

I'm not lame enough to have a picture of this one, but I was very excited the day I got to tell Emma Thompson where the bathroom was. Doesn't take a lot to excite me, clearly.


9. Spend too much money on a drink

Again, no photo because although I kept the receipt it is far too depressing to show you all. Let's just say I asked for a gin & tonic and two beers at a bar at Waterloo station (the first mistake), and didn't get change back from 30 quid. A weeks worth of food or one g&t? Oh London.


10. Shop at markets

.

.

I found this denim jacket at the Portobello Road market. The BOOM patch was already on. All other pins and patches added by me. I like to collect pins from cities I've been to, and this jacket is super for putting them on.


11. Ride the Thames clipper

Yep, when the tube seems too much of a nightmare, and I don't mind parting with the 6 pounds it costs to catch the Thames Clipper, I go home in style. I live pretty close to the Thames so this is a fun option, especially in the summer. Just be prepared for the irritating tourists and remember to add extra time to your commute.


12. Walk the Thames Path

.

The Southern Bank of the Thames is one of my favourite places to be. All the way from the Thames Barrier where I like to run, to waterloo and beyond, the Southbank is one of London's best bits.


13. Make some life long friends

.
.

It's true. I love them all.


14. Go to the Ballet

.

Another interesting stage performance, this ballet is called Woolf Works and focus on three plays by Virginia Woolf. It think they lost the focus a little in the second act, as the ballet seemed to be more about her personal life, rather than the literary works it claimed to be. But of course her work and life were closely related, so this was probably deliberate.


15. Visit a Royal Palace

.

Most English palaces are more impressive on the inside than the are on the outside. Kensington Palace is no exception. The Visitor Service Guides were knowledgable and I recommend listening to one of their short talks about the history of the rooms when you walk around. It really adds some context and character.


16. Visit the Barbican Conservatory

.

As you know by now, I have a thing for tropical plants. I love this place. Have you ever seen that old TV show Lost? This feels a bit like that. They have a desert room for cacti too...



17. Take up Mudlarking

.

Another hobby of mine which involves the Thames. Read my article about Mudlarking HERE.





18. See the Veils play at Koko

.

.

They are so goooooooood, especially live. Go listen to them. Gods.


19. See a gig at the O2

.

'Stadium Status' someone stop me before I go full Kanye. Actually, only Kanye can go full Kanye. That man has lost the plot.


20. Try 5 guys Burgers

.

Sorry I don't have a picture of the burger before I destroyed it. These are the best burgers I've ever eaten. good chips too. I like it when they leave the skin on. And there's free peanuts for the wait. AND you can buy beer. My ideal cheat meal.



21. Dress up for Halloween

.

I love dressing up! This is me as Gogo Yubari from Kill Bill. Seeing as the great Tarantino and myself share a birthday - That's right, he turned 50 when I turned 21, JS - I thought I should include this one to the list. 


22. Eat at an Ottolenghi

.

This is the delicious and aesthetically pleasing Nopi (W1B 5NE) which I highly recommend for a fancy date or other such occasion. Side note: If you don't like sharing plates, perhaps give this one a miss. Side note No. 2: The bathroom is amazing.


23. Attend a protest

.

.

Another one adding her name to the million men and women who marched in protest of the evils of our time. Although this sort of action only works on one level, I am proud to say that I participated in the biggest global march... ever?


24. Spend a Christmas with friends

.

Thanks for reading. Have you done any of the things on my list?



Lots of Love, and Happy Birthday to you whenever yours may be :)


x G x






No comments:

Post a Comment