Slaying Warm | Dressing for London Winters

Sunday 29 January 2017


SLAYING WARM | Winter 2017


Lemme say this first; please don’t think I’m trying to show off or tell you that I dress better than you. It is very true that there is beauty in diversity, and I love all different styles. These are just some ways I keep myself warm without looking like a bubble-wrapped orca. Although I’m sure there are worse things to look like…






Winter clothing is the best. I love the big coats and the layering and I live in ankle boots all year around. What I like most about clothing is that I am in complete control of what I choose to put on my body, and it can change whenever I want it to. Saying that, I try to only buy things I actually like, not what happens to be on trend because looking stylish and looking trendy can sometimes mean two different things!

Right now my style involves a lot of black and grey. I suppose I’m subconsciously going for the ‘New Zealander in London’ look of minimal chic (with good reason; the more I buy the more I have to eventually ship home) but the funny thing is that when I see other people out in these sort of clothes I cringe a little at how up-themselves they look. So. I’d describe my look is monochrome chic with some androgynous sass, band tees (of bands I actually like), leather boots (and faux leather accessories), lots of scarfs and a solid amount of vintage silver jewellery… plus my glasses. I can be so cynical and critical of myself that by the time I’ve finished writing this I probably won’t like what I wear anymore because I’ve spent too much time analysing it. But that’s the great thing; I can just choose something different to wear tomorrow…



Lets just say I only feel confident when I feel comfortable. If I try something on and it looks ok but I don’t feel anything, I wont buy it. This is the same with shoes. I (try!) to only buy heels that I can walk comfortably in. This has resulted in me owning no high heels. I feel very happy saying that it is ok to be a woman and not wear stilettos!


Arriving back on topic, I want to talk about how I stay warm during the winter months, without compromising my style. This might also be useful to you if you are about to go travelling to someplace cold i.e. Europe, and are wondering how to de-touristify yourself. Let me shed some light on the matter…


Natural Fibres

Choose wool! Itchy at first if you get an old (or high quality) woollen item, these can really make a difference in keeping you warm. When I’m hunting for jumpers both new and vintage I make sure to always check the label to see what it’s made from. If it has a wool content of over 50% I’m there. If it’s cute and I really want it, but its made of polyester, I put it down and imagine all the little balls of lint and pulls and weird uneven seems it will get after its been washed. Not so cute after all. Other terms for good fibres to look out for include Cheviot, Felt, Gabardine, tweed, Laine, Loden, Melton, Merino and Mohair.



This jumper is from H&M. I was about to put it down and leave the store, but it looked so fuzzy and warm so I checked the label and it was 37% Wool, 32% Mohair, 28% Polyamide, 3% Elastane. Good find!


Good Quality Shoes

I wear black or brown boots all year round. Yes, it’s possible. I do own other shoes too, but a pair or two of Chelsea boots is sure to sneak into my outfit at multiple points during a typical week in summer. Winter is the season of the leather boot. Don’t be scared of ruining them with snow or mud. Invest in a nice firm shoe brush, some brown and black polish and some waterproof shoe spray. My feet stay so much warmer with boots; there really is no comparison. I do have orthotic supports in my shoes, so this helps with warmth also. You could get some slip-in wool or leather ones if you need the extra snugness. Getting old boots resoled can also add warmth - and years to your favourite shoes.



I am happy to pay more for my shoes. Before owning the ones I have now, I was guilty of buying cheap synthetic knock-offs from places like Number One Shoe Warehouse (my Kiwi babes will know what I’m talking about). If you’re approaching adulthood with alarming velocity and are wondering what areas of your life you should start investing in, your feet are a priority.



Each pair I have shown you here are about 100 GBP – if you’re still a student this is a good place to ask for a student discount! The people working in shoe shops are usually students themselves, so make sure you have a current student card in your wallet at all times. They are usually happy to give you a discount with just a glance. The worst-case scenario is you have to pay full price. You were gonna have the shoes in any case!



I got my pebbled leather ‘Eleanore Stone’ Docs from the Dr Marten’s store in Covent Garden just around the corner from the station in Neal Street (Christmas present to myself). This is all totally unsponsored, but the girl who helped me was really lovely, the service was good and I like their products, so here’s the link:



Coats and Layering

I love the feeling of a big coat. You can wear them so many different ways and with so many different things. Some make me feel powerful, like the androgyny of this black one from Zara, while others feel more feminine (and also a little military?) like this Grey one from New Look. 



Again, look at the fabric and buy woollen (the black one has a wool content). When it gets below 5 degrees and I don’t want to pull out my ugly blue puffy parker, I like to layer. A good thing to do is buy your coats a size too big, or wear a jumper when you try it on in the shop.



Here I’m layering this black fleecy jacket under my grey coat. Sadly it’s not real fleece, but it does hold the warmth in.



With this one I have my woollen jumper, a tee shirt and a thermal singlet, making 3 natural fibre layers in total.



Layering lots of warm (but thin) items works really well. If you get too hot you can take it off your singlet for example and throw it in your bag, but with them all on they aren’t too bulky. Thermal tights are also amazing at keeping you warm. A short skirt paired with my doc martens is a go to outfit in winter thanks to my tights. When I was growing up I hated the bulky itchy woollen tights my mother put me in, but you can buy some comfortable and thin-looking ones quite easily these days. Buy more than one pair – you will feel the difference!


Hats and scarfs

I like to bring out a bit more personality with my scarfs. If the weather is really cold I often wear more than one layered on top of each other. This seems like a little thing, but it can be very affective at catching people’s attention ;) This easy layer can be taken off when you get to the tube station or anywhere that you know will be hot, without having to take your coat off. 





Again, look for natural fibres. They don’t shed like the 4 pound Primark ones do (all over by black clothes grrrrr). Look for materials such as Alpaca, Cashmere, Linen, Pashmina, Silk or wool. 



These can be inexpensive if you look in vintage or charity shops (they usually have a rack of them hanging up next to the shoes) and I like the pop of colour and texture they add to an outfit.


Essentials for your Bag

Ever wondered what other women carry in their handbags? Too much, that’s the answer! But during winter I make sure I always have these things with me…



Umbrella – it’ll rain at the drop of a hat in London town

Gloves – if you have deep pockets you might get away with no gloves, but otherwise keep a pair with you. Leather ones also look cool worn with a leather jacket. Like over the knee boots but for you arms…

Lip Balm – cold weather really dries my skin out, especially my lips

Asthma Inhaler – I have asthma that gets worse when I go from hot to cold environments or visa versa, thanks cosmic universe

Tissues – for my perpetually running nose

Nail file – as well as something to do on the tube if I don’t have my book, my nails tend to split and crack in the cold. A good buffing is slightly addictive.

____________



A big thank you to Patricia (Camera Woman) and Helen (Design Consultant) for helping me out this week. Shot on location at Nunhead Cemetery, Linden Grove SE15 3LP


Thank you for reading, and as always I hope you have found this helpful. 

If you think you have a better way of keeping warm and stylish in the Winter then please leave a comment and tell me what it is!


x G x


No comments:

Post a Comment